View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 12, 2000, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Reading Mark Dexter's post and mark Padgett's latest, it really eems that you could decide to factor in reaction time. To present a slightly different scenario, if a player catches the ball headed toward the sideline, does a one-two stop as he catches the ball, first foot in, second out, some time should go off the clock and you should factor in reaction time. The case that Mark P has set up is not far removed from this scenario. In theory you could apply the reaction time rule, since in both cases the same thing has basically happened. However, in Mark P's scenario you know that the violation occurred simultaneously with the clock start and the clock should not really start. My personal opinion is that you should reset the clock. I also think this is an easier call to sell to both coaches and teams (hard for a coach to argue that time should run off when the player caught the ball OOB), and seems inherently "fair" based on the spirit of the rules. But I will defer to the experts, because I frequently find there is a precedent, case, camp lecture, or something else out there somewhere that deals with this differently than I would using my sense of what should happen.