View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 12:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
The school has at least some blame for this incident in the way the game was managed.
No, the school has absolutely no connection with this at all. Middle schools around here do not have teams. The teams are run by non-profit community organizations who just rent the gyms from the schools. These organizations carry their own insurance and their contracts with the school districts absolves the districts from any responsibility, unless the venue is at fault in case of an accident, the same way any building you rent for any use must at least be in decent condition for the purpose for which it is intended.

Since this had nothing to do with the condition of the building, the school is not involved at all.

I don't know what the referee situation is in Molalla, but in my town, there's no way a 17 year old will be working a game alone - not even a 3rd grade game. We have HS kids as refs, but they are always paired with a more experienced official. Even if there's an emergency, such as the experienced ref not showing or getting sick, we have back-up plans.

BTW - under Oregon law, this kid should be able to recover between $500 and $1000 from this jerk for grabbing his arm and making a threatening gesture.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Mon Feb 18, 2008 at 12:52am.