View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I see your point, Camron, and I appreciate your doing that digging. However, your putting the option they give as the second point completely negates all the arguement you've done. We don't HAVE TO put the time back. So far you haven't allowed for any discretion. ALL THEY INTENDED in eliminating lag time, was to give the refs authority to put back less than a second if they felt that was just. There was no spirit or intent to force precision in sitches such as the OP.
That is EXACTLY the spirint and intent. It is expected that we manage the clock precisely when the time remaining is little. If that was not the spirit/intent, they would have just left lag time in place. Why change it and say lag time is eliminated if we still allow lag time??? That's what allowing any extra time would be.

The "option" is to not force us to manage 10ths of seconds where there are minutes left. The statements the NFHS made at the time of the change (and I can't locate the documents) clearly stated that the precision was intended for the end of close games and not other situations.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Feb 17, 2008 at 11:54pm.