View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 17, 2008, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta disgaree with JR

Situation 5.6.2 was written for determining end of game not for fixing the clock.

In that sitaution:

1) Score was tied
2) person fouled
3) time expires/horn goes off
4) they have two shots
5) 1st one is made game over
6) NO T's for celebration for game being over

The plain reading of the rule is...

The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer to start or stop the clock properly only when he/she has definite information relative to the time involved. The exact time observed by the official may be placed on the clock.

There is no lag time. Cameron is right the rule assumes the clock must stop immediately, and that if we have definite knowledge of when it was supposed to have stopped we can fix it. (Does not say we have to...)

This is where common sense comes into play. If a clock doesnt stop for a second at the 4 minute mark in the first quarter who cares? Most people arent watching the clock and I would rule that as not an obvious error..

The last few seconds of a quarter it does make a difference. If I blow a whistle and look up and see it go from 24.1 to 23.6, it most likely was higher than 24.1 when I blew the whistle because it took a reaction time for me to look up... In common sense that is what the scorer's reaction time is to shut doen the clock, the same for me to look up... I will reset it in my situation above to 24.1. If it is a hard play and it runs another two seconds because I am staying with players and dont see it I am not resetting it a all. This .5 seconds that the clock did not stop is obvious to everyone.

The timer and scorer can tell me that they did not shut off the clock, but I wont guess to what the time would be...

The only way I will use a timer or scorer to assist in giving me definitive knowledge is if we had a timeout where time was recorded in the book (or they record time of fouls, keep a play by play etc) or if the tell me they did not start it and I had a count (see case book)

If you really want to get into the absurd. The rule says the timer shall stop the clock when the official signals the foul. Throughout the book signal means hand signals...

I have had a situation occur this year when had to use all the rules from -6 and 5-10
Had a game with aan old clock three point ball ball game... Ball away, foul, horn... shooter goes to the line shooting three to tie. I tell coaches that if she misses one of the first two game is over (she missed the third)

Had another gama last week.. I call OOB as trail low in the corner, whistle then horn.. Timer wanted to put time back on clock (his team of course) I did not see the clock because it was such a close/hard play at sideline. Newer partner did not look up. If i would have guessed, it would have been .2-.3 another official in the stands said it was closer to a second.... but he was up higher in stand where he could see play and clock.... If I would have seen the clock not stop on whistle I would have fixed it...