Thread: 3-point attempt
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
When I was first reffing, my littlest was learning sign language because they thought he'd never be able to speak, although he wasn't hearing impaired (long story!!). My older kids used the usual index-middle-ring when they wanted to indicate three of something, I was using pinky-ring-middle as my reffing peers did, and Mason was doing the ASL middle-index-thumb. As he grew, he developed a sense of humor and would choose which one he was going to use each day. He thought it was funny to confuse people, especially ASL people.

PS He speaks okay now, although it took years of speech therapy to develop that. Sometimes, I wish he'd just shut up!
We spend the first couple of years teaching them to walk and talk, and the next 18 telling them to sit down and shut up.

I've had people who know ASL tell me the pinkie-ring-middle is a "bad sign." Didn't hear a peep from the folks at the deaf school when I did their games. That's the only reason I can imagine why anybody would care which we use.