Thread: Ball!ball!ball!
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:55pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blbrown71
I'm new to the forum and will appreciate any feedback on this topic: At the yearly state rules meeting, we (refs and coaches alike) are told about disconcertion. Specifically, not allowing players to yell "BALL!BALL!BALL!DEAD!DEAD!DEAD!" repeatedly at an offensive player. We are told that this is not basketball related and we should stop the game, tell the violating team not to do this and put the ball back in play at the POI.

Here's the problem: Every time I do this the players immediately look at their coach, whom has obviously taught this tactic, followed by brief argument from said coach who probably was sitting right next to me at said meeting. Coach tells me that no other ref is enforcing this. Are they lying? Should I let it go on?

blbrown71:

Welcome to the Basketball Forum.

First, disconcertion is a free throw violation and only applies to free throws. Second, who is tellling you that players can't yell "BALL!BALL!BALL!DEAD!DEAD!DEAD!" repeatedly at an offensive player? As annoying as it is, it is not a violation or a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. What state is telling you this at its state rules meetings. I hope it isn't Ohio or Michigan.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio