View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by refaz
However, coaches are just as much A-type personalities as refs. If they get the last word sometimes - who cares? Let it go. I do (at least I try to).

Also note, assistants often become head coaches. I treat them all with respect (so long as they reciprocate).

You should look at this as a learning opportunity rather than getting a pat on the back. You're reffing a tight game that both teams want to win. Then you tell the coach to do something "or else" - this is a challenge. Now, he should have heeded this warning. But it's not all that surprising that given how you handled it - he challenged back. Try using different words with the coach that don't include an ultimatum. "Coach, help me out with your bench/assistants please."

All that said, his words warrant a technical. In the future you might be able to avoid it all and not have to start the overtime with a technical.
With all due respect, bullpucky.

A simple warning was given to the head coach. He responded to that by doing exactly what the warning was about....he crapped on the official. You have to deal with it. As an official, If you don't have the gonads to deal with it, well, maybe you should think about becoming a coach. If the last word that you want to give the coach turns out to be derogatory as it was in this situation, then the last word should never be ignored. There's one helluva big difference between letting a coach get in a last comment about a call that he thought that you might have missed versus letting him crap on you.

Not very good advice at all imo.