Thread: Quick Pitch?
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Protect The Batter

Quote:
Originally posted by edhern
14 y/o NJBL game. Pitcher had a move from the stretch that was extremely fast. My partner and I used the discernable stop criteria. It was clear he stopped for a real fraction of a second (but it was discernable, not just a change in the motion) and then quickly delivered catching the batters off guard. The opposing manager wanted a balk call. I watched carefully and there is no time criteria how long he must be stopped. I am sure that this is not the first time he used the move and if he was getting balked, he would have dropped it. Good move or quick pitch?

Ed H
I think Jim Porter's advice about the foot rising up before the hands become set is a good barometer to watch for. Many pitchers do make a stop of the hands but after they have commenced their pitching motion by raising their lead foot. I see many umpires who put their hand up to protect the batter TOO EARLY which is TIME and prevents any other play such as a pickoff attempt. I will only signal TIME if the pitcher begins to actually deliver before the batter is ready. The possible quick pitch should not be governed by whether the pitcher legally stopped but whether he is deliberately putting the batter at a disadvantage and jeopardizing safety. In 2002 safety rules over everything else. Jim/NYC