View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Garth...daggo66 is just jealous of us "old guys" and our ability to bounce back from such injuries .

Did you have the ACL reconstruction surgery? I also tore ACL and medial meniscus on a pivot along the sideline in a 2001 playoff game. Had the knee scoped to clean up the meniscus, but did not have the ACL reconstructed. Knee is wobbly but relatively stable. Still considering the recon surgery, but that's a long haul (about 6 months) in rehab and recovery. Doc told me the the 'mental' recovery (believing that the knee is back to 'normal') is about another 6 months.
Sorry. Severe typing or brain malfunction. My post should have read that I tore my MCL not ACL.

The MCL has a much better blood supply and thus heals better and quicker than the ACL. Also, I did not tear it from the bone, rather I tore the ligament itself. They stitched the MCL and trimmed the meniscus.

The injury has nothing to do with age. There are several 20 somethings getting worked on at the same therapy clinic I use with the same or worse injuries. According to the surgeon they were "event" injuries. X-rays and MRIs show no sign of arthritis or any kind of deterioration.

I am undergoing a therapy plan used to put basketball players back on the court. It's intense and sometimes painful, but I stick to it.