Thread: Congrats!!!
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So coaches vote for ALL officials, even ones that might not have done one of their games this season? And if one coach really, really dislikes an official, that one bad vote can REALLY damage that official's chances of going to State??

I have said this before, but here it goes again - the rating system in Oregon is messed up. As far as I'm concerned, coaches should have little, if any, say in determining who works postseason games. Too much emotion, too much baggage...
As smitty said, there are no "No" votes. The coaches got a list of 78 officials (parred down from ~230 by the association alone). The coaches then select up to 15 they'd like to see in the tourney. So, one coach with an axe to grind leaving the name of one really good official out doesn't have much impact....especially at the top...the seperation between positions the top few was more than 1-2 votes. Presumably, those sorts of things average out as the turnout improves.

I do think the coaches have more say than they should...its too much of a conflict of interest for them to have a substantially more strongly weighted vote. However, I also see the sides of those in favor of coaches having a say...it forces the officials to work more "with" the coaches than default to being their adversaries. It forces officials to communicate more and be more approachable. At the same time, it also opens the door for politicing and such.

Of course, no matter how you slice it, someone will not like it (that someone who'd do better under what they'd prefer).