View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
My first thought, before reading where this went, was that I would try very hard not to use a phrase like "bail them out" when talking to a coach. I try to stick to the rules / judgment, and try to use "5 words or fewer".

So, I might try "The defense is remaining vertical"

I might even use your first part, "Your players are initiating contact"
As I was reading through the thread Bob's post was my only response. I think sometimes we tend to get ourselves into trouble by some of the comments we make to the coach.

We all have done it and hopefully have realized afterward that maybe what we said wasn't the best. I have learned over the years & do my utmost best to give a rule book answer to a coaches question. There really isn't a whole lot a coach can say in response to a rule book answer.

Your "bail them out," phrase opened the door for the Asst. coaches comments. Not that I don't agree with your "T" just that maybe you wouldn't have had to give it if your comments were verbalized a little different.

Communication is but one essential key to good officiating. The better communicator you are the better official you will become. This in no way shape or form means we won't take care of business. If we understand that the coach, (@ any level,) has put a lot of time into getting his/her team ready for this game & that sometimes they may get a little vocal or excited about a call/no call. If they do and we have the capability to communicate what happened in a professional way then we can by proper communication, diffuse situations before they escalate. (IMHO)