View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

sorry for the delayed response . . . TWEET. Violation. Signal direction.

OK, ANOTHER vent. What I have never had happen before has now happenede TWICE in the past 2 weeks. To me in just emphasizes the MASSIVE importance of always having a good pre-game with your crew. Anyway . . .

Last night I show up at the game site. I walk in the locker room and meet my crew. One guy I called with last week. Enjoyed it very much. The girl I have never seen before. So . . . I introduce myself and we all exchange pleasantries. I indicate that she is the R for this game as that what is listed on our game assignments. I asked when she wants to begin our pregame. She gives me the look, and says "whenever, I really don't think it's that big a deal." "OK," I say, "well, can we do one for me, because it helps me get comfortable with my crew." She says, "we can talk later."

We come in at the start of the 4th quarter (the game before ours), and sit down to talk. She says THREE sentences [LITERALLY]. 1) "Make good calls." 2) "Get good position." 3) "Let's hustle." I have to DRAAAAAAAAAAG anything else out of her. After this joyous time, we head out on the court.

The game goes fairly well, but she informs us early on that she doesn't like 3-person mechanics and isn't very good at it. I see what she means about 15 seconds into the game . . . I am OK with that though, because we all have to work hard to get good at anything. I offer my assistance as best I can and she works hard and makes some great adjustments. Later in the game she is really moving well . . . and I told her as much.

We get down to about 3-4 minutes left in the game, and everything seems to be winding down in a 25 point blowout. Then it happens . . .

Team B has the ball. SHOT . . . attempt for a rebound and FOUL! TWEET! Double whistle between me and the lead (I am trail.). I look at her and say "33." She shakes her head yes. I turn, report the foul, and begin walking to the other end of the court. Everyone stops and looks around like "WHAT!?!?" I look at the lead, and she starts to walk toward me. I ask her again, "you had 33 with the push right?" She now says, "no, I had white 15." DOH!! I ask what she saw. She tells me she saw 15 white push 12 green. I let her know that 33 green pushed 15 white (from behind) into green 12. She is emphatic, that isn't what she saw. OK. Double Foul, POI. No possession as it was on the shot, so we go to APA. Team A coach is quite upset. (I can understand why, but explain what we had and what we were doing.) We move on.

56 seconds left in the game. Team B is coming up the floor. Pt. Guard is dribbling up the floor at a fast pace. She gets to mid-court line and passes off down the floor. In the process she completely obliterates a defender standing immediately in front of her. Hits the defender SQUARE in the middle of her chest with her shoulder. I am T, she is C. We have another double whistle. I look at her to see what she is going to call. She doesn't do anything. SO, I START to drop my hand and signal team-control foul. DOH!! She decides to signal BLOCK. "Luckily" I hadn't thrown my punch for the TC foul, BUT I had taken a step toward the Team A goal. Team A coach is ticked! Tells me I let her overrule me twice! Why would I do that? I tell coach, "Coach, we had the same call, and she had a much cleaner look at the play. It is her call." I ask my partner what she had after the game, and she says the girl "started" to fall back and that is ALWAYS a block! I shook my head, said OK, and got out of there.

I would very much like to hear some thoughts on this . . . thanks.