View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

For a long time, homosexuality automatically disqualified men from certain sensitive positions, blackmail being the primary concern. (Remember also that until fairly recently, homosexuality was considered a mental aberration or even an illness, so it was felt that applicants might be unreliable, whether or not the job had a sensitive nature. The American Psychological Association has since changed its position on homosexuality, but privately many psychiatrists and psychologists still hold the older position.) A man known to be homosexual would not be hired by the FBI, the CIA, the State Department, and so on. During World War II, a man could avoid service by what was called "declaring himself," though in doing so he took great risk. This certainly does not mean that homosexuals did not work in sensitive jobs or fight in WW II.

It is suspected that when Joseph N. Welch said to Senator Joseph McCarthy, "I should say, Mr. Senator, that a pixie is a close relative of a fairy. Shall I proceed, sir? Have I enlightened you?" he was trying to needle McCarthy about rumors that McCarthy was homosexual. After all, McCarthy had sent Roy Cohn and G. David Shine to "investigate" subversives working in Europe, but most of their "work" consisted of partying together. In the 1950s, exposure of McCarthy as homosexual would have forced him out of the public eye.

Officially, homosexuals are now protected from discrimination in hiring.

Officially.

Last edited by greymule; Thu Jan 31, 2008 at 09:59pm.