View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
The uniform alone means nothing. The fact that they are warming up with the team is quite significant. Combine the two and I consider that to be an affiliation. The other eligibility issues you refer to are not NFHS rules, so they are not my problem. Also, if a player has 5 fouls and is seated on the bench, he is no longer eligible to play, but he is still bench personnel and is subject to restrictions therein.
You keep focusing on "affiliated" and I try to get you to see the phrase "eligible to become a player."

Affiliated is included in the definition of bench personnel. This definition brings under the umbrella not only players, but trainers, assistant coaches, scorers, kids not dressed because of injury, etc.

Now...what if any of these non-players, not in uniform dunked? Would you say that is must be a T because they are "affiliated." I doubt it. You would go to the next key words: "in uniform." Since they are not in uniform, you would have game management kick them off the court.

So why do you decide that "eligible to become a player" is none of your business, since the NFHS does not put restrictions on things like seniors playing on the JV team or too many quarters in a single day?

The rule is what it is. It could as easily have been written to be more -- or less -- inclusive. I think it matters that it specifically includes the phrase "eligible to become a player."

Last edited by BayStateRef; Thu Jan 31, 2008 at 04:44pm.