View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Ignats, for years it's been my job in our local association to answer complaints about our officials. If the official(s) have followed the rules, or if they have exhibited anything close to common sense when dealing with situations, we can then tell the complainers very nicely to piss off. In a situation like the one being discussed, I'm in a spot. If the complaint says that the calling official was told by the head coach, official scorer and home A.D. that the person dunking was not affiliated with a particular team, you tell me how I'm going to justify any official issuing a technical foul without any proof under those circumstances.

You have to answer complaints honestly and without trying to blow smoke up anyone's azz. You also expect and demand that the other side does exactly the same thing when we, as officials, have problems and complaints with them. That's my point, and it's got nothing to do with lack of courage or failing to back up my members either.

Fair enough. And I dare say, that you would be able to answer the complaint honestly, whether you would take the same action or not, that since the limitation in the rules contains the words "is not limited to" that the calling official judged that the varsity players were affiliated with the JV team. Logic alone says that particularly when you look at the definition of affiliated:

Quote:
af·fil·i·at·ed /əˈfɪliˌeɪtɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-fil-ee-ey-tid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective being in close formal or informal association; related:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/affiliated

Last edited by Ignats75; Thu Jan 31, 2008 at 04:31pm.