View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 18, 2000, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by T Alan:
[B]When an official not only referees (umpires) a sport BUT ALSO coaches that sport . . . is that official held to a different standard than a person that is "JUST" a coach?

I do not think that person should be held up to a different standard, but one would think, they would "cut the Blue some slack" on those bangers and sometimes controversial calls.

I've been a coach / player / and umpire all in the same year. When one coaches - you coach; when your a player - play the game; and when you umpire - officiate the game.

All 3 are very different from one another and we should not mesh these roles as one -

For example; if you think as a player, when you umpire you could get caught out of position on a particular play or not be ready for "something wierd" out there.

In my experiences, umpires who coach, often give the Blues more trouble than a person who just coaches. They are on a "different side of the spectrum now" and since they umpire - they try and "strut" their knowledge of the rules etc.

JMO

Pete Booth