View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
There is no "list". That is the "art" of officiating....first understanding the actualy rule, then learning how it is to be used....the intent and spirit of the rule. There are years of publications and posts all discussing the topic but not one concise list. In fact, the list changes from game to game as the game demands.
Well he said it already
To quote another rule
47.3 When deciding on a personal contact or violation, the officials shall, in each instance, have regard to and weigh the following fundamental principles:
• The spirit and intent of the rules and the need to uphold the integrity of the game.
• Consistency in the application of the concept of 'advantage/disadvantage', whereby the officials should not seek to interrupt the flow of the game unnecessarily in order to penalise personal contact that is incidental and which does not give the player responsible an advantage nor place his opponent at a disadvantage.
• Consistency in the application of common sense to each game, bearing in mind the abilities of the players concerned and their attitude and conduct during the game.
• Consistency in the maintenance of a balance between game control and game flow, having a 'feeling' for what the participants are trying to do and calling what is right for the game.

But there is no list, only your sense of the game and your skill, and do only way to get better is to practice and work on it.
But you should not call the 3 in the key for a player who has his or her toe on the line, at least not without thinking first...
I am not saying you should never call a 5 sec FT violation, but it is one of the violations you should rarley call (think, do you ever see them? But if you sit and count in the stands I'm sure you will notice loads of players take an extra tenth of a second). It's all about game flow