Thread: Tax write offs
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
W&S:

Its called the mileage deduction. When I travel to either the IAABO Spring or Fall meetings I drive there from my home, those miles count as a deduction because I am attending a business related funcition. When I go to Florida every summer for AAU and YBOA national tournaments I drive from my home in Ohio to the Florida, those miles count as a deduction. Everytime you attend a rules meeting given by your local association or StateHSAA, the miles you drive to attend those meetings count toward your mileage deduction. If you officiate scrimmage games at the beginning of the season, even if you are not compensated for officiating, the miles traveled for officiating the scrimmage games are deductable.

MTD, Sr.
Mr. Denucci, as a CPA and someone who spent half of my professional career preparing taxes, I think I understand the mileage deduction as well as anyone, and the reasons you state for taking the deduction all seem to be legitimate.

While I understand the travel to the meetings is always going to be a cost you have to bear, I can't help but asked if you are given some kind of reimbursement for travelling to those tournies in Florida. It just doesn't seem to make good business sense to me.