Thread: Tax write offs
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 02:45pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Ya know, I'm sorry, but if your travel is eating up all of your game fees, something is wrong with this picture. I mean, I know none of us are in this to get rich, especially if we're just doing high school levels and below. But realistically, you should be making more money per game, at least most of the time, than it costs you to get there and home.

W&S:

Its called the mileage deduction. When I travel to either the IAABO Spring or Fall meetings I drive there from my home, those miles count as a deduction because I am attending a business related funcition. When I go to Florida every summer for AAU and YBOA national tournaments I drive from my home in Ohio to the Florida, those miles count as a deduction. Everytime you attend a rules meeting given by your local association or StateHSAA, the miles you drive to attend those meetings count toward your mileage deduction. If you officiate scrimmage games at the beginning of the season, even if you are not compensated for officiating, the miles traveled for officiating the scrimmage games are deductable.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio