View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

What is the dumbest thing you did this past season?

I'll start off with one that I would imagine being hard to top. I was the R in a state semi-final game. I'm conducting the coin toss and the home team wins and elects to defer. I immediately signal their choice. I then inform the visiting team of their remaining choices and they elect to receive. I then asked the home team captain which goal he would like to defend. He pointed and told me that he wanted to "defend this way." What he meant was that he wanted to kick that way. After a few seconds of discussion I determined which direction he really wanted. It was those few precious seconds that did me in. I lined the captains up and promptly signaled that the HOME team would be receiving! My U quickly reminded me of what happended. Not being able to find a hole large enough to hide in, my only recourse was to quickly inform the 2 head coaches what had just happened. The crew came together before the teams came out for the kickoff and I told them not to worry. Now that I was the one to get our one screw up for the night out of the way they could relax and work a perfect game. After the game in the locker room our clock operator (and fellow crew chief) looked at me and said, "What the hell was that?" I explained how I forgot what happened in just a few seconds. He told me that the state observer asked him what I was doing. He looked at him and said, "Don't worry, he's new."