View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 02:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Quite the imagination, Paul.

It was neither. The Oregon SRI was describing what a pitcher could do from the rubber under NFHS as he was leading a small group of clinic attendees at a Tom Hiler clinic. He recited the pro rules instead.

Matt, an friend from Medford, and I looked at each other as if to question if we heard him correctly. The exchange began and remained politely. We asked him if, since what he quoted was the pro rule, was he sure that was also the FED rule. The gentleman works under BR, FED and NCAA and we thought perhaps he was just suffering a momentary brain fart.

However, he responded by reciting the pro rule again and said that he had it right. Matt responded with, "Excuse me, but I thought in FED a pitcher in the windup position had to step off the rubber before throwing to first." The SRI again repeated his assertion. The matter was dropped at that point.

Ever since, we have, good naturedly, ribbed Tee about his SRI.

But, no one's perfect. Some of the best SRIs across the country have thought they were correct about a FED interpretation only to find out that Indianapolis disgareed. I remember when FED ruled that players could not toss a glove with the ball lodged in it that several highly regarded SRI's were surprised.

Edited to add:

Since that incident, Oregon, with much prodding from Tee, has, in a number of ways, become the vanguard in sport officiating. The changes in mechanics, enhanced training and the raising of expectations Oregon has instituted has influenced many in Washington as well.
Garthington,

It was just a joke and Tee did say your son, Matt. We meet in an old high school auditorium and I often have to ask myself if I just heard what I thought I heard. I'm in the vast minority, which is also a vast minority that attend, of people that will ask a question in a meeting. Those that do come usually socialize or watch the clock. Nothing wrong with getting it right. FED is almost the anti-OBR when it comes to rules, so I understand the confusion. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to do things better and be better at what you do. Everybody wins in the long run.

Experience is often a mistake you won't make a second time.

Hope the weather clears up soon, your knee gets better and you will have something to do with your spare time.