Thread: A-11 Offense ??
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Numbers 1 and 2 are obviously directed at my post.

1. What lies? You have a web site devoted to your formation (which is solely based on a rule exception). You are selling items on that web site so that others may also learn how to use this formation. It's interesting that whenever I bring it up and you reply, you leave the website off of your reply. If it were altruistic there would be no fee for the information, therefore it is about money. If I am wrong then please show me where coaches in my area can get this information for free. Several teams in our area run this offense, minus your formation exception and might be interested.

2. In several of you early posts you bragged that you were never called for an ineligible receiver downfield all year. I merely contend that is exactly what the problem officials are concerned about with this formation. You now agree with me that you possibly did have ineligible players downfield and it wasn't called. That is the only issue with your exception formation. It's difficult to spot the ineligibles. During the course of a normal play it is easy to lose track of ineligble players, it could be a run fake or a broken play. Possibly a double reverse that turned into a pass at the last moment and there may have been more than one penalty flag already tossed. Now the umpire spots A52 7 yards downfield as he turns once the ball is throw. He knows he has a penalty. Same situation except A22 was in the game instead of A52. When the umpire sees A22 downfield, unless he duly noted his eligibility status at the snap and could recall it without the shadow of a doubt after all that just transpired, chances are he will not throw the flag because he has some doubt. That is the problem with this formation. You can deal with it when it is a punt situation. A clean snap and a kick, no problem. Muffed or bad snap, or a fake situation (close game, close yardage) you watch for ineligibles because you know you will most likely have them. Your formation requires too much needless attention by the officials to constantly determine who is or isn't eligible.
I know that your next reply is that several crews from several groups had no problem with your formation and they all endorse it yada, yada, yada. That is all coming from you. Why don't you let us hear it from them? I would love to speak to the commissioner of your officiating group. Give him this forum and have him come on or invite him to email me directly at [email protected]