View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 29, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Retrozetti
You already are starting off on the best foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Any tips you guys have... I'm currently a basketball ref, and I'm going to add volleyball to my job title.

Any help/ suggestions would be appreciated.
BearfanMike20,
You are already starting off on the best foot. Though you obviously are at the infancy stages of officiating volleyball, your future with this sport is highly promising... and I think you'll get a lot farther a lot faster, and in the next few years surpass plenty of volleyball officials. Why? Simply because you are "seeking advice" ! ! ! When you experience an official who thinks they know everything, and worse, they stop learning and improving... that is the absolute worst. So, take the great advice these officials gave you, keep asking questions and advice, and keep that open and inquisitive mind. A last bit of advice from me: Read, re-read, and re-read the casebook of rulings for your area, and secondly, ask the upper level officials around your area about a recommended official to observe (and maybe mentor you)... the officials know who are the best officials. I wish you success.
Not just a sponge for the rules, but for the philosophies behind the rules.