View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I had heard that the some IAABO boards had already directed their members NOT to wait around for post-game handshakes either. Is that correct?
Yes. All had...in some fashion. My board recommended we not stay, but said the decision was up to each of us.

But officials do not work for the board. The boards only provide training, rules interpretation and regular meetings. They do not assign games. We are independent contractors, who work for the schools and are paid by the schools. Our assignments come from commissioners who are hired by the leagues. Some assignors told their officials they had to stay for the handshake. If they did not want to, they would have their games removed. My assignors told me I could do whatever I wanted. I had one athletic director personally ask me and my partner to stay. Most said nothing. For most games, I stayed; for a few, I left as soon as the final horn sounded. I heard no complaints or compliments (except for the one AD who thanked me for staying.)

The biggest problem, to me, was that IAABO boards did not make the decision. Rather, the Mass. State Basketball Officials Assn., did. That board has no members. Instead, it has representatives from all 13 IAABO boards, in some proportion to the number of officials on each board. That board, according to its bylaws, is the sole representative of all IAABO boards with the MIAA on state-side issues, including fees and game enrollment. The individual boards were told if they did not follow the state board, they risked sanction from IAABO, including possible revocation of their IAABO charters. I know of officials that are talking about joining one of the non-IAABO boards or even trying to have their board withdraw from IAABO and request independent status from the MIAA.