View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I have officiated with IAABO officials from Mass. and I don't think anybody will be crossing the "picket line" so to speak.
I don't think that is accurate. This is a complicated situation and way too political. Individual IAABO boards did not make this decision. It was done by a "state board" to which all IAABO boards have representation and which has the sole authority to negotiate with the MIAA over fees, enrollment and related state-wide matters.

The state board met in emergency session last night and adopted the following: The MSBOA voted unanimously at its November 25, 2007 meeting that its members will not remain to observe the post game handshake. This position has not changed. With regard to the state tournament, individual members may choose to enroll with the MIAA.

I know a lot of officials from my board are not happy with the situation...in part because they had no say in it. I expect many officials will enroll as individual members...with the full blessing of their IAABO boards. Last year there were 1,412 basketball officials enrolled with the MIAA. Of those, 91% enrolled through their IAABO boards; the rest through six smaller independent associations that the MIAA recognizes.

Several members of the Executive Committee of my board have expressed frustration about the situation. They thought the issue was resolved and were quite surprised to learn it had not been.