Thread: Time of Award
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
How about this - the dead ball tables only cover a fairly hit ball lodging in a defensive player's uniform. It says nothing about a thrown ball. However, 8-3-3c suggests that a thrown ball lodging in the defensive player's uniform may become dead. The wording is not clear.

Also, under 8-3-3c the award is from time of pitch. I can't find anything in the 08 CB. I suggest that in this case, that the correct ruling is an umpire judgment based on where the play is. I would suggest that if a situation arose whereby a batter-runner had acquired third and was heading home in a rundown and a throw during the rundown got caught in the pitcher's uniform as he was taking a throw near home plate, it would not be fair to the runner to call a dead ball and send him back to second. I think this is one of those situations that is not specifically covered by the rule book and the umpire has to make a best judgment call on what is right and fair.

I'm open to any argument that seems legitimate and at the same time fair.
You just hit a walk off home run!!!! (i just love that analogy)
Dont concern yourself with any reference to a batted ball because in the play you are dealing with, it is a THROWN ball, period. The rule book only states a 2 base penalty from time of pitch for a play being made on a batted ball.(say the ball goes into the outfielders uniform, or even the uniform of the first infielder that the outfielder has thrown to.) This logically concludes that this, a thrown ball, well beyond the play on the batted ball, would be a 2 base award from the time of throw that went into the uniform. (2 base seems a bit much in this circumstance, but so does 3 bases for a catcher touching a batted ball with his mask!!!) life is not always fair!!!!!!!!!