View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 09, 2002, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Michael Taylor

Use straight OBR and do an extra book of age specific rules.

Michael, what do we do with the 100 inconsistencies that are there already? Individuals talk about local leagues making up their own rules, however, Strict OBR is not sqeaky clean either.

Example: in Strict OBR, there is no such thing as Verbal Interference. Talk about controversy. Let's say someone is yelling at another player from the dugout etc. You might be able to eject the individual, but according to strict OBR = No OUT

ok you might say let's adopt a rule (since you said age specific), that allows verbal interference. What's the difference between a league adopting a rule that allows verbal interference from one that says any ball going into DBT is only a 1 base award. To me they are similar.

We can go on and on.

As long as the league supplies whatever rules they want (again excluding safety), I do not know what the big hub-bub is. For those that don't like Special Rules they wouldn't be working too much where I live. Each league has special rules that are unique to them.

If a particular rule does spark controversy it's not our problem. We simply interpret the best way we can, and if the directors of that league get enough complaints, they will change it.

As long as they are well behaved (limited problems), I couldn't care less what rules they play by. Also, as least in summer ball, most leagues use a mixture of both OBR / FED and NCAA. If you are not flexible you don't work.

Pete Booth