View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 06:20pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Yup, Mark, you convinced me. I'm with JR. No way I could ever pull off the kind of think you're talking about.

Juulie:

What is there to pull off. It is not the officials job to take a census of the players warming up on the court as to which ones are JV players and which ones are VAR players. The game officials are to count players period. If one if them decides to dunk the ball he does at his own risk and puts his team at risk.

In Play 1, nobody wants to consider this TF because it was done by a VAR player before the ten-minute mark. Lets tweak Play 1 a bit. Change VAR to A-12. The R goes to the Table to find report the TF and A-HC tells you that A-12's name is't going to be in the Scorebook tongiht because he is not going to play because he has a strained saluting finger in his shooting hand. By your logic you do not have a TF because A-12 is not a player just like the VAR player is not a player. BUT then, when the R checks the Scorebook at the ten-minute, guess what? A-HC has decided to put A-12's name in the Scorebook after all just in case he needed an extra body to finish out the game. Are you going to go back and tell A-HC that you are know going to charge A-12 with a TF for dunking after telling A-HC that you weren't.

The best way to handle this is to remember it is not the officials job to take a census of the players. If they are in uniform and on the court warming up they are to be assumed to be players. If the players and the coaches want to be idiots, so be it, it is not the officials job to protect them from their own stupidity.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio