View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 08, 2002, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Just say "No"

Roger,

I empathize.

I work FED, NCAA, MSBL, MABL, NABF, PONY, American Legion and very infrequently, Babe Ruth. All of these have some modifications to THE rules of baseball. But the modifications made by the national bodies of these organizations usually "add" something to enhance the rules for their level and needs. Most often these modifications concern safety or increased participation. (Although, sometimes we have to wonder about some of the FED modifications)

The goofy modifications that some coaches insist on, or that are created at times by local boards of a national organization are another matter. They usually "change" or "delete" a rule. Some of these include attempts to bring baseball myths to reality. "We have a must slide rule in this game, ump," I've been told. "No, you don't," I've responded.

I take the time to check out the rules of all the "leagues" I call. I won't take a game if I don't know or have access to their rules, national and local. Thus armed, I don't allow coaches to *******ize the game any further than their national organization already has.

If a coach, or even a local board, insists that the hands are part of the bat, I will not call their game. To do so would only serve to perpetuate a myth and screw up another 20 to 30 players' recollection of a rule. I'm not afraid to turn down a game when I know a local board has changed all the ground rules and base awards.

The problem comes when some umpires become willing to call nonsense rules to get a game. Some of us will do anything a coach wants for a game fee.

Perhaps the profession you should have chosen for your analogy is prostitution.