Thread: Punch Ball
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 27, 2008, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
My understanding is that the rule is basically of the "safety" variety. The FED didn't want fists flying; fists that could possibly hit another player. That doesn't seem to be an option in the situation that you described. Personally, with no other players around, I'd let it go but make sure that I'd tell the player later that it's a "don't do that".

It's almost like 10 seconds to shoot a free throw, I guess. The accepted practice seems to be giving some latitude to the call.

The same rule applies under NCAA rules. I doubt very much that anyone at that level would ever make that call either if there were no players in the vicinity of the punch.
JR..I'm surprised by your response. I have personally never got to 10 on a FT count but will admit that my count probably isn't the fastest in the world either.

Your generally so by the book. I just can't see how you could set aside an obvious hit of the ball with a fist. The rule is clear and doesn't have any language in it that would suggest allowances or intent. (Example would be 3 second rule where player makes a move to the basket)

What if its a close game and a player @ the timeline decides to hit the ball with his fist with no other players in the vicinity? The opposing coach knows the rule and knows that he/she should be getting the ball back. However you decide to set the rule aside just because no other players are around? You will have just kicked a RULE!