View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_official
Last night during a freshman game I'm in trail and on the table side. A1 has ball free throw line extended half way between lane and side line. B1 cleanly knocks ball out of A1 hand and the ball goes down and hits A1 on the foot and rolls out of bounds. I clearly see this like I was standing right next to them. In fact I'm so sure of it I turn to start down the court to take my place as lead.

Partner with 10 years of experience gives the ball to team A saying the B knocked it out of bounds. I blew my whistle and got together with my partner to tell him what I had seen and he was very much did not want to hear anything I had to say. I now return to my trail position and play resumes. Keep in mind team B coach pretty much has the same angle on this play that I do and wants an explanation on what happened.

How do you handle this with your partner and then how would you handle it with the coach. In my mind my partner very much blew this call. This only being my first year I'm not 100% on to handle this with a partner that has a lot more experience then I do

Thanks Guys and Gals

Andrew

Andrew:

It was the Lead's sideline and according to you he was the only one that saw the play differently. I had a play earlier this month with my son. I was T opposite the Table. He was L table side. A rebound came off to my side and the ball went out of bounds on his endline. From my angle it looked like it went off V1 and the crowd thought the same way. But none of us had the angle he did and he gave it to Team H. From his angle he might have seen it differently than you and unless you are 200% sure, then let him live by his call. I was not 200% sure so I let my son's call stand. Remember the game is about angles most of the time.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio