View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Rog's example may be from the opposite end of the spectrum, but he makes a valid point that merits discussion.

Yes, wiring a house that is not in accordance with the local code, can and will bring about "BAD JU JU". However, look at it like this, we have standards that are generally published by an authoritative body that we use to guide our actions. Because this authoritative body is not present in our corner of the world and does not understand our "unique" situations, we tend to modify this code to more readily conform to our situation. Rog's point is that we have done this for baseball, just as some might do for electrical wiring.

Rog, I think you have a valid arguement for standardization amoung the professional ranks. However, 99% of us partake of this game from a non-professional aspect, be it rec league, high school or college. Each level of ball has specific goals and ideals, based upon the level at which it is played. For instance, high school ball (in most places) is played using FED rules. For the same reason that you don't wire your house the same way you would wire your baseball field, what is the harm in modifying the rules for the enjoyment of the game by those that are participating? I will point out that there should be a starting point, i.e. OBR, but how do we disservice the game by saying 12 year old kids should not play on 90' fields?

Just my humble opinion,

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass