View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Remembering another one...

Last summer, adult men's league (which, by the way usually goes pretty smoothly around here. The league president reads them the riot act before before the season and they are generally well behaved).

Tying run on third. Batter hits a pop foul near the third base dugout. F5 heads over, balances himself against the fence, keeping both feet in play, leans through an opening in the fence, makes the catch, then tumbles into dead ball area.

Plate umpire kills it, calls the out and awards R3 home.

Defensive coach erupts, team erupts, various knuckleheads charge my partner. Coach claims that "the umpire in our last game didn't call it like that" (a dumb statement in itself, but not the one I'm getting at). I get everybody away from my partner in quick fashion and we get the game moving along again.

I trot back out to "C" (there was another runner) and the shorstop is still looking agitated. He comments to me, "Man, that is the stupidest F***ing rule I've ever heard!".

Me: "Yeah, it's such a stupid rule that it's only been in the rule books since about 1903".