View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Let me put this in perspective:

Loudly I say: "Are you quesioning my integrity . . . are you?" As I keep walking towards him mask in hand.

No coach has EVER had the guts to say: "Yes, I am" cause they now know they are on a short lease.
Reminds me of a story that I still get teased about. My second year of umpiring, assigned to the bases of my first championship game (a 10 yo tournament). Top of the first inning, I make a call at 1B, coach comes out of the 1B dugout, asks me a question about the call, to which I reply "Are you questioning my judgment?"

I wouldn't call it guts, be he didn't show great intelligence as he replied "Yes, I am." I dumped him.

Game got rained out in the 3rd. After the game the coaches from both teams met with the tournament director, scheduled the game to be replayed from the beginning the next day. Since they started over from the beginning, the tournament director told the coach he wasn't ejected for the replay. Saw the coach in the parking lot, he said "I'll never answer that question that way again" and we both laughed.

My assigner heard my story, explained how I "baited" him, and I wasn't assigned to the replay. That story (and several others) still brings a big smile to my face whenever I think of them. Rule 1.01 - "Baseball is a game......."

Walt

Last edited by AAUA96; Thu Jan 24, 2008 at 04:37pm.