View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Imagine that on a particular play, only one whistle was sounded. That official (say the Lead) signals block because in his judgment, the correct call is a block. Some people wouldn't like it, but the call of a block would stand.

Imagine the same play happening, but instead of the Lead signalling, the Trail signalled. In his judgment, it is a PC foul. Some people wouldn't like it, but the call of a PC would stand.

Now - the same play happens again and two whistles and two signals: one of each. Each official is signalling what their judgment is on the play. To take away the call of a block and only go with a PC is like saying the judgment of the official calling block is less authoratative than that of the official calling a PC.

If this notion of disregarding judgment is allowed (which is what happens when the two get together and one decides to not follow through on his signalled call), then why accept the judgment of the block-calling official when he was the only one that had a whistle?

The same is true for the vice-versa situation.

That's why we are to have a fist for fouls, and to make eye contact with our partner.

The above does not include cases where there was a travel before the foul, or a player was pushed into the ball carrier, etc.... it only applies to judgments on the same contact.
A few observations:

Blarge = 1 foul on A1 and 1 foul on B1..."dems the rules".

I have never seen it called that way in this area..."dats da way it is".

One official says it is day,
One official says it is night...

Soooo, per the rules...is it now night and day at the same time.

One official says it is day,
One official says it is night...

They get together and decide whos observatory they are looking out of.

JR...don't be dissappointed...I (try to) justify this by saying that no way both officials called a block and a charge at the same time.
One HAD TO BE first....even if by a nanosecond.

I pregame the heck out of this...if it happens..we get together to determine who HAD IT FIRST. (Hopefully the official who's PCA it was in)
BTW...have not had this happen in over 10 years.

Jumpball and Foul signals happen "simultaneously" once in awhile.

We don't get both of those...we get together and choose one.

Same philosophy...please don't ruin my purification of the "blarge" rule.
Richland, WA