View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
I'm not saying one system is better then the other just that I prefer this one over the alternative. I'm sure there are PRO's & Con's to both! I really don't know what you mean by, "bring in their own people." As far as AD's/ coaches changing, well that certainly happens.
If a school assigns their own games, then if there is a change at those positions and they know officials in and around the area, they can hire who they have had a relationship with. That happens all the time where I started. And it would have nothing to do with your ability or any incident. You would not work at that school because the AD would hire people he or she already had a relationship with.

Quote:
Has it ever been a problem? I can honestly say, no. Since most of our games are scheduled a few years out then by the time we get to the game the AD/ new coach has seen my crew somewhere. Rarely would the coach and AD change @ the same time so if one doesn't know you then the other does.
I have known that to be a problem in different parts of Illinois, because some schools would pay the officials to stay home and bring in another set of officials to work the game. So the contract does not mean you will work the game.

Quote:
Tough calls are going to happen and certainly when you make these calls you stand the chance of the coach not wanting you back. If that happens then so be it. As you said earlier that would be for the best. Fortunately we haven't had to deal with that yet, not to say it won't happen, just not yet.
I am not saying you have to be worried about it. But at least when you have an assignor or association, there is a filter before you are banned. The assignor might know the reputation of the coach and not honor the request. Or like Tony said, the have to show some proof other than, "I just do not like this guy."

Quote:
We have worked @ a couple of schools where we left and said we really wouldn't want to come back. In that case we wouldn't contact that school to schedule;
I have been in situations where I did the exact same thing. And I even worked for assignors and requested not to go back to certain schools. The point I am trying to make is that that system you think is so wonderful has its pitfalls. And being in a state that boarders you, there are many people that are uncomfortable with the system. I do not know how long you have been working or what levels you work, but that might be the reason you are happy now about the system. Then again I do not live in a system where I would get banned based on something that was off the court and I was not responsible for the actions either.

Quote:
(IMHO)The number one advantage to scheduling your own games is that you get to work with who you want. I happen to work with a nucleus of about 5 guys. We know how each other works, body language, call selection, philosophy, and most importantly, were comfortable with one another. The more you work with a crew the better you become as a crew.
I agree that working with the same people has its advantages, but it also might not challenge you either. A lot of people that work together do not question the judgments of others and you have to work hard to do that. I work with some guys often right now and I do not mind working with different people. If I am going to go where I want to go, I will not have the choice all the time and that does not bother me one bit.

Peace