View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Well I was in a system of where I got my own games and it had many problems as well. If the coach changed they might bring in their own people. The same thing would go with the AD changing as well. You might work at one school one year and the next year you are out. Then you would have games with a school and if you made a tough call or they did not like the job you did, they might not ask you back without having to go through someone to verify if you did the right or wrong thing.

I am not trying to say it is all bad, but it is not all good or any better than an assignor system. It is just different.

Peace
I'm not saying one system is better then the other just that I prefer this one over the alternative. I'm sure there are PRO's & Con's to both! I really don't know what you mean by, "bring in their own people." As far as AD's/ coaches changing, well that certainly happens.

Has it ever been a problem? I can honestly say, no. Since most of our games are scheduled a few years out then by the time we get to the game the AD/ new coach has seen my crew somewhere. Rarely would the coach and AD change @ the same time so if one doesn't know you then the other does.

Tough calls are going to happen and certainly when you make these calls you stand the chance of the coach not wanting you back. If that happens then so be it. As you said earlier that would be for the best. Fortunately we haven't had to deal with that yet, not to say it won't happen, just not yet.

We have worked @ a couple of schools where we left and said we really wouldn't want to come back. In that case we wouldn't contact that school to schedule.

(IMHO)The number one advantage to scheduling your own games is that you get to work with who you want. I happen to work with a nucleus of about 5 guys. We know how each other works, body language, call selection, philosophy, and most importantly, were comfortable with one another. The more you work with a crew the better you become as a crew.