View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius
I agree with your last sentence.

I'm just saying, given the events of the OP (which included, "the defense appeals"), this run scores regardless. When the runner passed the plate, absent an appeal he is deemed to have touched it. The run could be removed on proper appeal if the runner hadn't retouched, but he did.

If the defense doesn't appeal, the run counts since the runner passed the plate before the time-play third out was recorded. If the defense does appeal, the appeal is denied--the runner touched before the appeal was made.

Roder's position is a stretch under current rules and accepted interpretations. You would have to uphold an appeal in which the runner touched the base before the appeal was made. Or, absent an appeal, the umpire would be required to unilaterally ignore the JEA section I quoted.

Either of those, friends, is taking the sh&%ty end of the stick.

I agree more with Publis in that you score the run regardless. Disallowing the run when the runner comes to retouch is not consistent with the rest of the bases, meaning the runner is "f'd" for missing the plate, whereas he can return and touch any other base without consequence. In this play:

If he retouches home, he's screwed. No run.
If he doesn't, he's screwed. Upon appeal, no run.

That doesn't make sense. That seems to be giving the D the advantage. They can nail runners after the 3rd out, but the offense can't correct their mistake after the 3rd out?

That doesn't seem right...