View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Similar

Had very similar situation earlier this month so I know how you feel. Freshman game, actually the team was from the town I live in and I knew some of the coaches and players. One guy had a huge pad on his elbow. I couldn't remember the exact rule and asked my partner what he thought. He stated that at an earlier game he allowed the same thing and the incoming JV ref's gave him grief about it.

So we went and talked to the kid and asked if he had a doctor's letter. Said he didn't but if this was illegal he has a sleeve to put over it no problem. We hemmed and hawed a moment but decided that it would be best to change. Went over to bench and explained to the coaches what was happening. One assistant who I knew was kind of disgusted and said "It's only a freshman game", my partner quickly replied "it's a high school game and we play by high school rules". So he changed. I could see who was probably his Mom nearby and was kind of disgusted. Hated to rock the boat and start the game like this but you never know.

Halftime we jumped right into the book, and, uh-oh, the rule says hard objects cannot be padded but no restriction on pads only (which it was). So, before the second half began, went over and apologized to the bench for our mistake and told him the pad would be okay. He chose not to change again. I just hoped he didn't fall to the floor in the second half, elbows first (he didn't).