View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Citing an exception to a rule seems like it wouldn't go over well with a coach. As a referee could make up any "exception" to a rule so that he's right.
But if that exception is actually in the rules, what are you making up? There are many rules coaches and players get incorrect; it could be from watching NCAA and NBA games, where the rules are different from NF rules. I wouldn't worry about what a coach thinks, especially if you know you got the call correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
I'm trying hard this year to interact better with coaches, so how does this sound for a proper explanation:

"Coach you are correct under normal circumstances, however there is an exception to the rule that allows this play to be legal when the ball is being inbounded. Should the ball have been in play when he passed it, a violation would have occurred."
Maybe a little wordy; I would keep explanations as simple as possible: "Coach, backcourt violation does not apply during a jump ball or throw-in." More often than not, it doesn't matter how eloquently you phrase your explanation, even if you also include the exact rule reference numbers and case book plays, coaches will still not believe your answer. So, to save time, give them the Cliff's Notes version, and get the ball back in play so they will move on to the play at hand.

(Used with permission.)