View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Are you saying that the language is stating that the word "immediately" only applies to trying for goal? If so, I disagree. My interpretation is that you have to either immediately dribble in or you have to immediately try for goal.
You can't apply the immediately to both the dribble and the try. It's either one or the other.

Let me enumerate the possibilities by expanding the OR:
  1. (dribbles in immediately OR moves immediately) to try for goal
    • Doens't say the try has to be immediate
    • A dribble inward must be immediate (ending in a try)
      • the dribble hasn't been given a time limit or speed
    • a movement must be immediate (ending in a try)
      • such movement hasn't been given a time limit or speed
  2. (dribbles in) OR (moves immediately) to try for goal
    • Doens't say the try has to be immediate
    • A dribble inward doesn't necessarily have to be immediate
      • the dribble hasn't been given a time limit or speed
    • a non-dribble movement must be immediate (ending in a try)
  3. (dribbles in OR moves) (immediately to try for goal)
    • Grammatical nonsense...for immediately to apply to the goal, it would have to appear in a different location....
      • to immediately try for a goal
      • to try for an immediate goal
As you can see, there is no way for the immedaite to be applied to the goal. The only sensible options are that the actions that precede the goal must begin by the 3 second mark and must continune to a point ending in a goal. If they cease, the allowance is lost.

How does this end up working....player in the lane just inside the FT line for 2.9 seconds and starts a dribble moving towards the basket. As long as that move continues towards the basket and ends in a try, there is no violation. If the player drives down the right side, gets stoped, and reverses to back across to the other side (or just stops), 3 seconds. As soon as they reverse directions, it's over. If they pump fake immediately to a shot, I'm not calling 3 seconds. If they pump fake and pause afterwards, violation. They get one chance to make a play.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jan 22, 2008 at 10:51am.