View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 08:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Modified Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
At a youth travel league game on Sunday, played with rules modifications that forbid zones. I called the coaches together and reminded them of the rule and told them it was our decision what constitued a zone. The officials at the game site have the final responsibility for interpreting the violation. If there is no advantage being gained then the official in all likelihood may not call the violation.
On weekends, when available, I work some Catholic middle school games that have "modified rules" when certain point differentials are reached, no fast breaks, no presses, stay inside the arc on defense, stay inside the lane on defense, etc.

My problem is that none of these terms are defined in any rule book that I know of. NFHS rules have a single rule, I believe the longest section in the book, Rule 4, on definitions. The NFHS has a reason for this long section. I wish that league adminsitrators would realize how difficult it is for officials to enforce rules where certain terms are not well defined.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 21, 2008 at 09:04pm.