View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Here's an exerpt from the 2008 NFHS Preseason Guide regarding the new obstruction rule:

"The new definition puts the fielder in jeopardy for obstruction when certain "train wreck" plays occur. A "train wreck" play is when both the defensive and offensive player are doing what is expected and they collide anyway.

Play 3: F6 fields a ground ball and throws to F3 in an attempt to retire B1 at first. The ball is thrown wide. F3 lunges toward the ball and B1 tries to reach the base, there is a collision that denies B1 access to first. The collision is not malicious.

Ruling: F3 is guilty of obstruction and B1 would be awarded first base. F3 must have possession of the ball in order to deny B1 access to the base. Even though some would argue that is just a baseball play where the ball, runner and fielder all came to the same spot at the same time, it is important to note that F6's bad throw caused the problem."

I haven't yet had the priviledge of seeing the Power Point presentation (my state meeting is in three weeks and I'll see it then).

The exerpt from the guide would seem to contradict the slide you are referencing. It sounds like the ruling hinges on a better definition of the ethereal phrases "both doing their job" and "doing what is expected".

Last edited by BretMan; Mon Jan 21, 2008 at 07:36pm.