View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I hate to break it to you; it might not be the public opinion you have to worry about. It might be your assignor, your state organization or any other people that decideNow all I said was to dot your "I" and cross your "T" so that when you do give a T, it is harder to question your judgment or your motives. And if this discussion has not taught you anything, then you better realize that everyone is not supporting your actions 100%. And if you get the wrong assignor or evaluator that says you are wrong, then you might suffer some consequences far beyond this game. My main point is you should protect yourself as much as you possibly can.
Great advice, Jeff. One common theme I have heard from my supervisors is that if you are perceived as unapproachable, you will not be working at that level for very long. To me, that means I am responsible for that. It means actively and honestly listening to everything before reacting or dropping the hammer. A coach or player crosses the line, everyone will know it. Those gray and/or "ego" areas--they are fair game for interpretation, which may or may not go your way all the time.