View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djh3
1. I read the rule (before writing the statement).
Here is the rule, and I do not see the part where it says an advantage has to be gained by the offensive player?
Outstanding! I got you to look at the rule book! I understand that advantage is not written into the rule. However, I told you that this is the way the rule is called at ALL LEVELS! This is not a conspiracy by David Stern and the league anymore than it is by the NCAA and their officials or the NFHS and high school officials. It's the philosophy that's been established. Do you not remember reading that in my reply?

Quote:
2. You do not measure only the number of violations, but the number of times the team is called. You convert to a percentage and compare. Example.

Team A had 20 instances of when they could have been called for a 3 second violation, but they were only called twice.
They were called 10% of the time.

Team B had 30 instances of when they could have been called for a 3 second violation, but they were only called once.
3.3%.

I would bet that most statistics experts would say the sample is too small, however if you did it for a whole series and it came out to 10% vs. 3.3%, then there is a bias. Against or for a particular player or team.
I could care less what most statistics experts think. It has nothing to do with the game. If you told me that one team had 3 seconds called against them 15 times while the other had none, I would say something is terribly wrong. But a 1 to 2 ratio. Good grief!

Quote:
It is apparent that you do not value looking at things from a fans perspective and that evidently you think everyone except officials are morons.

No, they just simply see the game from an uneducated point of view with regards to the officiating. Look at the Patriots-Raiders playoff game. Guess what? The play was an incomplete pass, by rule. But every moron in America thought it was a fumble.

There is no conspiracy. Get over it.