View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I would bet that most statistics experts would say the sample is too small, however if you did it for a whole series and it came out to 10% vs. 3.3%, then there is a bias. Against or for a particular player or team....

Your grasp of statistics is almost as good as your grasp of rules. A few problems with your arguements:

1. Statistics is not an exact science, but one that shows degree of correlation. The statistical difference between 10% and 3.3% is minimally correlated.

2. You are disregarding that teams have used fouling the Lakers as a strategy, because, statistically, Shaq does not shoot fouls well and it disrupts the tempo of the game. Therefore, statistically, the Lakers should be at the foul line more.

3. Correlation does not equal Cause and Effect relationships. As an example, 100% of people who eat at least one pickle in their lifetime will die. Does that mean that pickles are fatal? No, but the correlation is there.

4. It is impossible for anyone to keep track of which calls they made, in what order, and on whom, throughout the length of a game. That is why you watch game tape (just like players and coaches) to understand where the mistakes were made.

As to your comment on the rules, there are rules and there are accepted interpretations. You did find the 3-second rule, which proves you can read, but you fail to understand that the "advantage" interpretation is applied relatively consistently across the league. It helps with the tempo of the game. It it common not only in basketball, but in other sports as well. I also do football and that is an overriding theme in how the game is called.

No one on this board defends bad officiating, much less "homing" a game. Grow up and understand that some times teams are just good. If the Kings had made their free throws in Game 6 or 7, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If Chris Webber had stepped up in either of the fourth quarters instead of shrinking from the spotlight, we wouldn't be having this conversation. They gave the Lakers a gift and choked, big time. As a Mavricks fan, it makes me sick to see the Lakers in it again, but they won and it is their right to be there.

If you are going to use statistics, then at least do it correctly. If you are going to apply rules, then at least understand what you are saying. With the knowledge level on this board, you could learn a lot about the rules and their application by asking questions.

Remember, it is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove doubt.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-