Thread: messy time out
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

messy time out

Girls varsity game. Visting team is up by 12 mid way through 4th quarter. Visiting team hits 15 foot jump shot to go up by 14. As the ball is coming through the net, home team coach says "Give me a timeout." (I am the trail standing in front of visiting bench and as the ball goes through the basket, I turn and start down the court). As soon as I verify it's the head coach asking for the timeout, I hit the whistle. I award the timeout to home team. Visiting coach asks me why he gets a timeout when his team just threw the ball away?

Sure enough, when the home team grabbed the ball after the made basket and stepped OOB, they then threw the ball away as I'm awarding the timeout.

I know he asked for the timeout BEFORE the ball was thrown away, but it sure looks ugly. I know in this situation whatever you do will make someone unhappy (if I DON'T award the timeout, home coach will be angry). For what it's worth, I told the visiting coach that the timeout was requested BEFORE home player even had the ball. He just grumbled a little and didn't say anything else.

Any advice on this?