View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 06, 2002, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

At the risk of getting beat up like the fan, we have had the discussion of a "star system" in the NBA before. I think that is what many people get frustrated over, and it is compounded in the NBA when a newcomer team (like the Mavericks and Kings the last two years) make a run at an team with established stars. Anyone who honestly looks at professional sports (including the NBA) will see that cetain players are treated differently by officials. Sure the stars are better, stronger and faster so some of it is perception. However, when a fan sees (1) a player like Kobe get brushed on the arm, the fist go up and the shot go in, then (2) Joe Smuck rookie get "hammered" on a shot and nothing called...they will get angry and think conspiracy. As long as they pay the bill, it's their right. We may think they are wrong most of the time (they usually are), but they have a right to complain when they are laying down their cash.

I have heard MBL players, and umpires, say that if a catcher sets up near the strike zone and doen't have to move his glove...strike. Strike zones are different from umpire to umpire. We have all seen the "neighborhood" play at second base during a double play. In the NFL, some receivers push off all the time and are rarely called for interference (see Michael Irvin). Surely we don't all think there is no equivilent in the NBA.

The problem for the official (in all sports) is that the fan pays to see the stars perform, wants them involved at crunch time and wants the games called the same for everyone. Sometimes those are mutually exclusive.