View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 05, 2002, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djh3
My suggestion of measuring the number of times the three second rule was violated would demonstrate if there was a bias. If the officials call it according to the way the league wants them to, as long as they do it the same way for both teams then there would be no difference.

If there is a significant difference, then it is due to bias towards or against a team, or biased in favor or against a particular player.
Your 3 second example doesn't hold water. As has been said, my guess is that you have never read the 3 second rule. I would also bet that you have never read or even seen an NBA rulebook. Yet, you and Ralph Nader feel qualified to judge whether the officials are biased or not.

But back to 3 seconds. At no level, NF, NCAA or NBA, is the 3 second rule called the way it is written. Officials are trained to call 3 seconds when the offensive player GAINS AN ADVANTAGE. That's the way it's officiated, that's the way it's played, and that's the way it's coached. Fans are the only ones who complain, when it's not called against the team their favorite is playing. A couple of 3 second calls are not going to make a difference in the a game. Hundreds and hundreds of things go into deciding who's going to win, not one or two calls.

As has already been said, we aren't defending the calls. Officiating is judgment based on rules knowledge and philosophy. It is gray, not black and white. Yes, most officials will commnet that you need to pick up a whistle to understand what's going on. That's because it's true. until you've studying the rules AND philosophies, works hundreds and hundreds of games, you can't possibly understand what these officials are doing.

Watching basketball does not make you an expert on officiating.