View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Let them Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
In this case the try ends when it clearly will not be successful. That is with the block. However the act of shooting includes the airborne shooter. That player is considered in the act of shooting until one foot returns to the floor.

You should likely consider that the contact with the arm/torso should be substantial after the ball is blocked cleanly up top in order for you to have a foul. Many camp instructors where teaching 80% ball 20% player should be let go a few years ago. Something to think about.

Rumpref : This is the first year,4th year reffing, that I have applied the 80/20 deal Nevada wrote about. The amount of grief that I get by no calling this-unless it's substantial-has been practically zero. The amount of complaining/grief I get for doing it the old way is in itself substantional.

How I learned to apply this new theory is I needed to swallow my whistle a little on blocked shots and pay attention to whats going on when I swallow my whistle. The feedback I got was amazing.

Now to address those who might say i should or shouldn't make calls based on the complaining/grief factor I agree. Just saying in this one area the results are noticeable...

Also Rumpref they just had a thread in the last couple of weeks on this-couldn't find it but it's relatively recent.